Tuesday, July 21, 2015

What's in the Box? July 21, 2015


When the weather turns hot and humid like this, my family and I don't want to eat real meals, we just want to snack. As if Mother Nature knows, she provides a diversity of things this time of year that can be sliced and served raw: peppers, baby tomatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumber, peaches. Often, at our house, lunch is just a platter of these fruits and vegetables.

But sometimes it's nice to gussy up Nature's Bounty with some sauce or a little protein, so I've provided a few suggestions below for the nibbles that we make again and again and again, like Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe and Everything-but-the-Kitchen-Sink Salsa. And with so many Juliet tomatoes this week, I know I will be making Tomato and Mozzarella Salad just about every day!

This week, I will also starting to work through the bounty I froze from last week's box before I went out of town, starting with Eggplant Parmesan and Summer Vegetable Soup. And if I happen to find a surge of energy in all this heat, I might even start canning some of those frozen tomatoes.

Here's what was in the box this week:

3 pints Juliet tomatoes
4 large tomatoes
4 eggplants
5 onions
2 heads of garlic
4 peppers
3 sunflowers
1 cantaloupe

And here's my meal plan for this week:

Wednesday Breakfast
Cantaloupe with cottage cheese

Wednesday Lunch
Everything-but-the-Kitchen-Sink Salsa

Wednesday Dinner
Eggplant Parmesan  made from Slice and Freeze Eggplant
Oven-Roasted Tomatoes stuffed with Goat Cheese

Thursday Lunch
Prosciutto-Wrapped Cantaloupe with Mission Fig Balsamic Vinegar

Thursday Dinner (potluck)
Eggplant, Feta, and Tomato Salad

Friday Lunch
Tomato and Mozzarella Salad

Saturday 
Build-Your-Own Summer Vegetable Soup
Melon, Cucumber and Tomato Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment