Wednesday, June 24, 2015

What's in the box? June 23, 2015


After several weeks of travel and the accompanying hodgepodge of roadside meals, I could not wait to get home to my CSA box. And having crisscrossed most of the country—and seen the prices and poor availability of food in many places—I have never been more grateful for where I live. There is truly no place like home.

And what a treat that this week's box was full of all of my most favorite vegetables!
Eggplant
Yellow Squash
Cucumber
Peppers
Beans
Cherry Tomatoes
Heirloom Tomatoes
Celery
Basil

Ratatouille, right?! Jana Eakes has shared her recipe for Grilled Ratatouille that I can't wait to try out tonight. And long-time CSA member and volunteer Daintry Thomas has shared recipes for Eggplant and Zucchini Gratin and her own Summer Vegetable Casserole, which make wonderful use of many of the vegetables in our box this week.

I'm so glad members are sending in more recipes. That is what forum is for. Keep 'em coming! They sound so good, I want to try them all, but I will probably need a little more of just about everything. Fortunately, Jana says the farm stand has extra zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes for sale, so I will be picking up some later this week for a dinner party I'm hosting on Friday.

Until then, here's how I plan to make quick use of what's in the box:

Wednesday
Jana's Grilled Ratatouille

Thursday
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Mozzarella and Basil
Heirloom Tomato and Basil Pizza 

Friday (dinner party)
Minty Yogurt Dip for vegetables (cherry tomatoes, celery, peppers)
Balsamic Green Beans
Daintry's Summer Vegetable Casserole


Digging deeper:

Bored with beans? Check out "Oh, Snap! 31 Green Bean Recipes" from Southern Living.

Befuddled by eggplant? Try this handy resource: "Learning to Love Eggplant: How to Pick 'Em, Cook 'Em and Eat 'Em" from TheKitchn.com

No time to eat it now? Freeze it for later! Daintry recommends this tutorial for Freezing Eggplant. And here's how to do the same with your zucchini and squash.


No comments:

Post a Comment