Friday, August 14, 2015

What's in the Box? August 13, 2015


It's that time of year again: the kids are heading back to school—trying new things, learning new skills. I find I'm doing much the same at home in my kitchen, tasting new-to-me varieties, such as this week's bright yellow canary melon and those wrinkly shishito peppers, and experimenting with new-to-me techniques. This week I hope to try my hand at pickling a bunch of those peppers.

I love recipes that pair two or more ingredients that are perfectly in season at the same time—and come in the box. There are several in my meal plan this week, including this recipe for Canary Melon and Pepper Salsa, which use canary melon, bell pepper, banana peppers, garlic, and some red onions I have left over from last week's box. Or how about using the canary melon, arugula, and basil for the Summer Greens and Melon Salad?

I've also received some wonderful recipe suggestions from members, below. Keep them coming!

Here's what was in the box this week:

1 canary melon
1 bunch basil
1 bag arugula
4 eggplants
3 heads of garlic
4 bell peppers
7 banana peppers
shishito peppers
1 bag mini Roma tomatoes
1 bag Campari tomatoes


Here's are a few things I'm thinking of trying this week:

Cocktails from the Box
Ina Garten's Jalapeño Margaritas (Thanks, Jana Eakes!)
Canary Melon Margarita 

Things to Make with Canary Melon
Canary Melon and Pepper Salsa
Canary Melon and Jicama Salsa
Melon with Orange Ginger Syrup
Summer Greens and Melon Salad
Melon Sorbet

Things to Make with Peppers
Blistered Shishito Peppers (Thanks, Will Reed!)
Cream Cheese-Stuffed Banana Peppers Wrapped with Bacon (Thanks again, Will Reed!)
Quick Pickled Peppers
Ina Garten's Make-Ahead Spanish Tapas Peppers (Thanks again, Jana Eakes!)

New Things to Make with Eggplant
Aunt Mary's Eggplant Balls (Thanks, Allison Doyle!)
Ina Garten's Roasted Eggplant Caponata (Thanks times three, Jana Eakes!)

What new recipe are you trying this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment