Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What's in the Box? Sep. 1, 2015



Here's what is in my box this week:

3 heads of garlic
4 eggplants
1 bunch yard-long beans
1 bunch basil
9 bell peppers
1 bunch arugula
1 bunch microgreens
2 cucumbers
5 Italian roasting peppers (variety "Carmen")
10 Padrón peppers


New this week:

Yard-long Beans
These Chinese beans are new to me, and, since I love purple vegetables, I can't wait to give them a try. Apparently they can grow several inches in a single day. Will Reed says they cook up just like regular green beans, but I think I'll try this recipe for stir-frying them and add them to one of my favorites:  Eggplant Tofu Stirfry.

Padrón Peppers
OK, these peppers have been in the box before, but, I confess that, not being a fan of spicy peppers myself, I was at a loss for what to do with them. I should have asked the farmer! Amanda Reed says she likes to add one (seeded and with membranes stripped) to guacamole. Alternately, she will add a whole one to a spicy soup or curry, and then remove it whole before serving the dish—a great idea for avoiding a burn from the pepper seeds. You could also blister them, like I did for these milder Shishito peppers.


Our family's meal plan for the week:

Tuesday dinner
Sliced bell peppers and cucumbers with a sprinkle of sea salt
Mixed arugula and microgreen salad with pesto dressing
Eggplant lasagna (made and froze from last week's share)

Wednesday dinner
Eggplant Tofu Stirfry with Bell Peppers
Stirfried Yard-long Beans
Blistered Padrón Peppers

Thursday dinner
Chicken pot pie
Arugula side salad
Garlic-roasted potatoes

Friday dinner
Homemade Pizza with pesto and Italian roasting peppers

Saturday dinner
Meatless Eggplant Meatballs
Garlic Bread
Pesto

No comments:

Post a Comment