Wednesday, May 13, 2015

What's in the box? May 12, 2015


One of the best parts of having a CSA share, is that each week brings a surprise—or two or three.

This week's surprise was beets (my favorite!) and basil (can you believe the size of that basil?!), and a funny purple root vegetable whose identity I could only guess at. Bonus points for anyone who correctly identified Purple Kohlrabi.

I love that my CSA box stretches my cooking skills and my palate, just as I encourage my own kids to try a new vegetable. It also makes following Michael Pollan's food rule to "eat your colors," incredibly easy. This week, my box was a rainbow of color, with:

Strawberries, one pint
Carrots
Easter Egg Radishes
Lettuce, two heads
Bok Choy
Purple Kohlrabi
Beets
Basil

So what will I do with it all? My family's weekly meal plan is below, and this week I'm focusing on salads.

In addition to the giants heads of lettuce I get in my box each week, my own little home garden is in peak salad production, so I've got to eat one, maybe two, salads every day if I want to stay on top of it all. But no one wants to eat the same carrot-radish-and-tomato salad twice a day, least of all me. So I've chosen salads that are so packed full of flavor and ingredients that they are meals unto themselves. I've also included my "recipe" for the simplest salad of all, which some days is really all you need or want.

Wednesday Lunch
Pear Salad with Blueberries and Blue Cheese

Wednesday Dinner
Spaghetti and Shaved Salad

Thursday Lunch
Jana's Simple Strawberry Salad

Thursday Dinner
Stir Fry with Shrimp, Bok Choy and Purple Kohlrabi

Friday Dinner
Homemade Basil and Mozzarella Pizza with Simple Salad

Saturday
Niçoise Salad (recipe to come!)

Sunday
Eat Your Greens Salad (with Avocado, Green Onions and Pumpkin Seeds) (recipe to come!)

Monday
Pickled Beet Salad with Feta and Pistachios (recipe to come!)


1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite quick summer snacks is basil and (any) berries. I think yours are the best strawberries I have ever tasted! Thanks for the recipes. :-)

    ReplyDelete