Wednesday, May 6, 2015

What's in the box? May 5, 2015


We drove over to Tupelo yesterday to pick up our share, as the sunshine and dry weather kept Will in the fields planting rather than making the weekly trip over to the Oxford City Market. But what a beautiful day for a drive! I forget how lovely the landscape is in that part of state.

It was also nice to meet so many of you who were also picking up your shares at the farm stand yesterday—and hear that you like the blog. Please do send in your own recipe and meal plan ideas to nativesonproduce@gmail.com.

We hope that this will be a forum for sharing, rather than me just publishing my own ideas. Believe it or not, I don't have that many! In fact, I'm quite out of ideas for turnips! Anyone? Anyone?

Here's what all came in the box this week:

Strawberries, 2 pints
Carrots
Leeks
Kale
Bok Choy
Lettuce, 2 heads
Turnips

And here's what I plan to do with it. My meal plan looks a little funny this week because Wednesday is my son Archer's fourth birthday, and I let him plan the menu for his party: kale chips, carrots, and strawberry shortcake! I have never met a child who loves fruit and vegetables as much as this boy does, and he will make quick work of much of what was in our box this week. Next Tuesday's box can't come soon enough.

Wednesday
Kale Chips*, Carrots and Hummus
Strawberry Shortcake
*This is a great tutorial for "Flawless Kale Chips" as well as some ideas for "dressing them up."

Thursday
Tofu and Bok Choy Stir Fry

Friday
Leek and Potato Soup with salad

Saturday
Turnip and Bacon Risotto with salad

No comments:

Post a Comment